Ultrasound scanning involves the use of a small transducer (probe) to image the testes and the surrounding tissues.
This study is usually required to :
- Evaluate swelling or pain in the scrotum
- Evaluate the cause of infertility such as varicocele
- To look for the location of undescended testis. If a testicle is not detected in tha scrotum, it may be located elsewhere. This information is important to the urologist.
- Evaluate trauma to the scrotal region
- To evaluate sudden onset of pain in the scrotum. Which should be taken seriously because it may be due to testicular torsion ie the twisting of the spermatic cord that contains the blood vessels that supply the testicle.